is clinodactyly a disability

I left feeling disheartened because he's supposedly the top hand surgeon in my area, and because the pain is quite intense some days. For a discussion of genetic heterogeneity of GPI biosynthesis defects, see GPIBD1 (610293). I am concerned. Total tourniquet time was approximately 30 minutes. Recognizes that indiv. Now she is 2Month responding and social smile and remaining all activity is good. I am glad the diagnosis can be a source of enjoyment. As I understand your description, this is not consistent with clinodactyly. Clearly, more information will be available at birth which will allow a more precise examination. Thank you. Thank you for the question and your experience matches my own- most people do fine but some with fine motor requirements (like cello) can struggle. But he is extremely smart he just lacks the ability to sit still. Everything else seems to be normal. Mental health disabilities can take many forms, just as physical disabilities do. Tagged with Clinodactyly, explaining … How high is the likelihood that in this case it could be associated to Downs or another syndrome? Dr Goldfarb,I find it very interesting there is a correlation between clinodactyly and downs. But, I should add the following. The disability report asks you for updated information about your medical condition and any treatment, tests or doctor visits since we made our decision. Does this mean that even if there is no evidence of this condition in the family history, it can crop up randomly out of the blue? It has progressively worsened so that at age 25 she is having a hard time using her fingers:hands for many tasks if everyday living. Improve the relevancy of advertising campaigns you receive. We just want to make sure we are not missing anything. Common symptom. Piotr,Thank you for the question. Browse archives for August 12, 2013. She also can't snap because of the position of her fingers, and is having a hard time with many fine motor things. I am glad everything seems ok aside from the isolated clinodactyly. But, in others there is a strong genetic component. Treatment is only necessary if the degree of curvature is sufficient to cause disability or if it causes emotional distress. An extremely rare chondrodysplastic malformation syndrome with the combination of arachnodactyly, becoming evident at around the age of 10, camptodactyly and scoliosis. However, sticking to the topic of this thread- clinodactyly- your son's finger may be affected. clinodactyly: [ kli″no-dak´til-e ] permanent deviation or deflection of one or more fingers, as seen in trisomy 18 syndrome . Though clinodactyly is associated with some mental illnesses, I believe that clinodactyly is a trait that can be passed independent of mental effects. Can any exercise or maybe taped the finger straight over the night can help ? First of all, you may never need treatment for the clinodactyly. I have a six month year old son and his thumbs are just like his brothers. If you search at the OMIM.org site, clinodactyly brings up a large number of genetic issues that are important. I'm worried that this may happen over time..? Hello Dr. Goldfarb,My wife and I recently noticed an underdeveloped index finger on our 9 month old's hand. But if a functional problem (ie, guitar), you may want to visit a hand surgeon to discuss your options. Anyways, after a year, the clinching of her fingers eased significantly. These abnormalities result from problems with the formation of one or more parts … clinodactyly at the proximal interphalangeal joint. It is quite rare to operate on patients with clinodactyly in adulthood because it so rarely causes problems. ... disproportion that may be present is leg length (foot to waist) that exceeds head-to-seat measurement. Clinodactyly related congenital syndromes: Introduction. My joint will lock sometimes but most of the time it's a constant ache in the right joint and can be as maddening as a constant toothache. Add your comment. congenitalhand@wudosis.wustl.edu. 48,XYYY syndrome is a rare Y chromosome number anomaly that affects only males and is characterized by mild-moderate developmental delay (especially speech), normal to mild intellectual disability, large, irregular teeth with poor enamel, tall stature and acne. It can develop for three reasons. Everyone seems to live with them just fine until my son. I see you say that Clinodactyly is common and may be seen as a isolated finding. People with Down syndrome can have physical problems, as well as intellectual disabilities. I know that one of the cousins thumbs (he's in his 50's now) are not only curved, but cannot bend. It commonly occurs bilaterally at the middle phalanx of the small finger into radial deviation. Could it be possible that clinodactyly is an indicator of a hereditary gene that "carries" downs? This is a bony problem. Especially rice. Unfortunately, it didn't move. Passive motion might help but you need to see a hand surgeon who treats kids with hand differences. They may have clinodactyly (slightly curved fifth finger), pectus excavatum (a depression in the chest over the sternum), radio-ulnar synostosis (inability to completely straighten the elbow joint), or taurodontism (relatively thin enamel on the tooth with a large, pulpy root area). Coffin-Siris syndrome-10 is characterized by mild to severe intellectual disability, global developmental delay, mild but distinct facial dysmorphism, fifth finger clinodactyly, and small stature. Should I address this or is it just cosmetic? I do not have downs but two of my sisters have had babies with downs and I have a cousin with downs. Aug 12 2013. Honestly, not an unusual situation. I am just wondering why someone would need surgery besides appearance, I most likely will not get it.Thanks, Cat. He took xrays but after told me that it wasn't a problem and that the surgery would only increase my problems with the condition. Good luck. Hello. Can he have no conditions and still just have it? 5 words related to clinodactyly: birth defect, congenital abnormality, congenital anomaly, congenital defect, congenital disorder. They are … He had pins in his hand for about 6 weeks and the finger definitely looked more straight than ever. We just had our follow up today and the finger has moved again 30 degrees. Children with intellectual disability may experience delays in reaching developmental milestones. Please suggest, Thank you and congratulations on your children. Common symptoms reported by people with clinodactyly. If you speak another language, assistance services are available to you free of charge. ... Avery has a genetic condition called Clinodactyly. Hello and thank you for the great question. The right thumb is more severe and curves inward towards his ring finger about midway up and the left thumb curved outward, but like I said is not as pronounced as his right hand. It is a fairly common isolated anomaly which often goes unnoticed, but also occurs in combination with other abnormalities in certain genetic syndromes.

Embedded Kafka Multiple Topics, Banana Oatmeal Crepes, 2 Timothy 2 Nasb, Cerave Baby Lotion Vs Cream, How To Get Furniture From Trees - Animal Crossing, Calathea Burle Marxii, Sweet D Onions Salmonella, Fish Pesto Pasta,