gray gel stain over golden oak

Citristrip doesn't require sanding, nor does wiping stain off. The cabinets look SO good after the fact too. We have light oak cabinets in the bathroom with some great ceramic tiles on the floor but it is so much brown. We have a lot of rooms to renovate, and I will definitely be doing this color stain in one of my bathrooms. It has a slightly blue tint to it, but the color is fairly consistent from one wood species to the next. I have done this on bare wood, and it gives a finish that is colored but also lets the wood show through. I need to do that to my cabinets in the kitchen. You did a fantastic job! Both of the oak species took on a sort of Cerused look I’m very into. p.s. You start with unfinished white oak. Every other gray stain I’ve tried has gone on blue. The Handmade Hangout #46 and My Weekly Features, Mother's Day Gift Guide from Uncommon Goods, A Busy Woman's Guide to the Best Cleaning Products. Almost no penetration. So simple, so quick and not much prep to speak of. I used Varathene's 'Sunbleached' gray to put my base down, then Minwax' 'Provincal' on top. I am not sure about the effect on doing this to stained and varnished wood. One quart was enough to do our master bathroom and the 2nd small bathroom as well. I have had at least 25 conversations with With effort it'll be completely doable. Wow, what a transformation! Prep: Clean; lightly sand finish; remove dust. 4. Classic Grey Stain by Minwax was one of my favorite gray stains that I tested. In the end, I used brute force sanding, and as lazy_gardens says ended up with two different kind of woods plus veneer. It looks like totally new cabinets. I used my Ryobi Corner Cat finishing sander on the stairs and the landings and did a light sanding. Materials included oil based paints, just about every gray stain I could find. Don't take this advice until you've thoroughly researched it and done some experimenting, but... You can get a weathered gray finish on wood by using a solution created by soaking steel wool in vinegar. I planned to rough it up and put a grey stain over to tone down the red, but as I’m attempting to rough-up, the gel stain … I'm sure the thread is still here somewhere, but my quick search didn't turn it up. CAWAPS ... "You can get a weathered gray finish on wood by using a solution created by soaking steel wool in vinegar. "But only on raw wood, and it's really hard to control, especially on "oak" which might not be all woos and probably has veneer. what a transformation! The green that is generally very pronounced in Poplar, turned into more of a warm gray. I also used General Finishes gel stain in Ash Gray for the top. Comment Report abuse. WOW and what a transformation from old to new! My sister did it on a raw wood crate and it worked out great. I have a cabinet that needs to be transformed. I just noticed you linked to our party, thanks! I'm not sure gel stain will achieve the look of the photo, For $10 you can get a small amount of grey gel stain and try it. Can you show us an image of a kitchen whose cabinets look the way you want yours to look? The grain of the wood is still visible on all the samples with one coat. Announcing the 2nd Annual Spring De-Junk Challenge! I can't get over how 'easy' it was, to completely change your bathrooms look. Finish has to be removed by sanding and/or stripping. So just stain it all. Varathane 1 qt. So, this post is just my bathroom, which only took maybe 1/4 of a can. Not orange oak cabinets. Aug 4, 2016 - Explore Kimberly Merck's board "Gel stain over Golden oak 😝" on Pinterest. Thanks so much for stopping by! We can only buy it in a wood craft store across town from us in Indy. I prefer a penetrating stain. New look without new price tag! Splotches of golden oak under mucky stain. General Finishes Gel Stain, Gray, 1/2 Pint Item #54781. If you want that look, buy new cabinets from a line that offers the look. I agree with Me. Wow - that's such an amazing transformation! Wow, that color came out just gorgeous! :). With paint you have to strip the poly coating and sand the cabinets down, then prime and paint. I am definitely a fan of gel stain and will be using it again soon! He loves it so much. I prefer the darker color a lot. To get what you want, you have to start with a different material. Notice she took it down to no finish. I absolutely adore the darker stain! Thanks so much- I love it too! How do I downplay honey oak cabinets on a budget?? Its thick formula allows easy application and superior color control, necessary to achieve a rich and uniform color on most surfaces in a single application. Oh my! Or outside, for that matter. raw wood. Crazy what a little stain or paint can do!!! What you are trying to do looks complicated. I love doing little home makeovers <3. I am not sure that gel stain with get you there either, but it is worth experimenting with on those resale doors. However, when using several coats, it will most likely look very opaque. I used general finishes Java gel stain n also used antique walnut. 5 different gray powered wood dyes mixed with water. Please tell me the easiest and cheapest way to achieve a gray cabinet with some of the brown tones of the wood coming through, and wood grain. Weathered Oak by Minwax Can't afford new ones, but these look like new. Go to the resale store and buy some oak cabs or just doors that have stain and a varnish on them to experiment on them. This one actually went on a warm gray and neutralized the red orange mahogany. I used a gel stain on an oak buffet and am not happy with the results. I need to do something like this in 2 of my bathrooms....I am scared though! Grey Gel Stain Over Oak Cabinets. Omg this came out pretty awesome!!! Hard to tell in my pictures, but that wood look is still there. CEF, how goes it? Looks great, but lasting? The cabinet turned out beautiful! We have a dark stain on our cabinets. – My first 1/2 pint of Gel Stain was $14.48 (with shipping). Helpful. I was going to mention what cawaps did. To see some Gel Stain before and after projects on Pinterest, click here. We went with General Finishes Java Gel Stain in 1 qt. Did not try any lacquer products, vinegar or ammonia. 2. He should marry it. The gel stain will stick to existing finishes, but I always recommend a very light sand to guarantee adhesion. I have room that could definitely use this! The gel stain is thick like pudding, not a liquid. Parts of my cabinets are not real oak, and those parts took the stain just as well as the real wood did! I like the direction you are going in. You can also shift the hue of the base color by using an appropriate gel stain. Gray is one of the easier colors to stain … I used General Finishes High Performance top coat in the flat sheen. Repeat process if needed; then poly protective coats in a matte finish. Supposedly no sanding required but certainly not like your weathered oak.. Then, of course, here they make it sound so easy. Particularly for families with children? Once that coat of stain dries ( a couple of hours), the scariest step takes place. It's always a good thing to start with inspiration images as you have done. If you’re still not 100% sure what to do, let’s look at some examples… Oak Cabinets with Arched Door Style and Hidden Hinges. I wanted to make certain the grain wasn't filled with dark stain. Gray Gel Stain Over Honey Oak Cabinets. Thanks for this. It looks so smooth and even! A search on this site turned up a number of conversations, but I didn't find the one I was looking for--I remember someone doing extensive experimentation using the technique and posting the results. Read more. I've never seen the technique done on cabinetry, but have seen it all over Pinterest with other wood items. Simply dry brush the gel stain over white paint after the surface had already been given its initial gel stain coats and wiped back. It basically just lays on the top of the wood. Kitchen Refinish - Golden Oak to Java/Creme. The stain was so very hard to get even (was Minwax) and the color is much redder than I wanted. Experiment One: Mix grey paint and poly 50/50 and paint on cabs; let sit for just a bit, wipe off excess with lint-free cloth, let dry. (I like her blog, though.). Thicker consistency prevents drips and runs. Awesome inspiration. I didn't know about Java Stain since this post! If your cabinets are in really good shape, and you expect to keep them for a long while, I would look into getting a professional estimate and have them do it if affordable. I followed YouTuber Pete B n his exact directions n used same brush to Paint on the gel stain…n let me tell you…it came out perfect n I never did this before. Let us know what you decide. Even with the first and second coat of that stain, it looks good - wouldn't you agree? With the oak cabinets, the grain was very evident post-staining. Although gel stains are usually recommended for applying on raw wood itself, a spectacular design could be created especially for dining tables using the “dry brushed” technique over white paint. WE LOVE THAT STAIN! Done. Ended up going with another gel stain over top of it to achieve the desired richness and color. The unconditioned Birch side, again, struggled with accepting the stain, but you can also see the conditioned side of each board is slightly darker. General Finishes Gray Gel Stain. Oh snap! Wow, that is a huge difference! What a gorgeous end result! One picture with a link back may be used provided that full and clear credit is given to Occasionally Crafty with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Read Me First! Great job. If you have a spare door/drawer front it is certainly worth experimenting on. The General Finishes grey wood stain is highly pigmented, so one coat of stain is all you need for most applications. Keep in mind that anything wax really needs to be sealed, no matter what these blogs claim. Qty ... How To Apply the Oil Base Gel Stain: ... Topcoat can be used as a sealer over paints and stains or as a clean finish. Thicker consistency prevents drips and runs. Those cabinets turned out great. The Handmade Hangout #45 and Weekly Features. I try to answer all valid comments as soon as possible, but you can also email info@occasionallycrafty.com with an urgent question. Hi all, I have golden-colored oak cabinets, and they're really good quality. The bottom is the Ash Gray. I try projects and they don't always turn out!!! The color of GF's Gray Gel Stain is so light that it can only be successfully applied over raw wood with the wipe-away application method. I used two coats to really enhance the gray color that the stain provided. :). I know Brooke- I didn't believe how easy it was until I tried it myself! If you don't want to paint, and you're willing to go the full distance to get what you want, you must go to raw wood. 2 water based, 1 oil gel and 5 oil based stains. Weathered Gray Wood Interior Gel Stain is a convenient and easy to use stain that provides deep, rich color to enhance the natural grain of the wood. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2582061/how-to-get-this-to-die-for-gray-stained-effect. I would experiment with glazing them with a brownish grey paint mixed with water based glaze (you can get a smallish container of glaze at Lowes for less than 15.00), you practically dry brush it on so that small container will do the whole kitchen. I have no idea if either of these will replicate what you want, but it is how I would proceed. You would also certainly need to strip off any clear finish over the wood stain before tackling it. Whatever finish was on there just didn't come off despite drenching with citristrip. P.S. I like the darker brown shade now since it's less prone to getting dirty. Any speck of finish on them and you stain? Experiment One: Mix grey paint and poly 50/50 and paint on cabs; let sit for just a bit, wipe off excess with lint-free cloth, let dry. I did not know one could use a product like this over wood, but now I do! Wax come off with Windex (anything ammonia) and even vinegar, for those who think that's the way to go. This oak kitchen had an arched door profile, but NO … Feisty used monocoat to achieve a gray weathered look, but started with raw wood. Using just grey stain will not work unless you completely remove the previous finish by stripping and sanding. I've done a decent amount of furniture restoration and home improvement, but never used gel stains. Hardwood floor stain to complement honey oak, https://www.woodcraft.com/products/general-finishes-gray-gel-stain-1-2-pint?gclid=CKapg-GQo9QCFQKoaQodBOwLPg, New to Kitchens? I liked that it added a gray finish to the wood in a more subtle way and still allowed the wood grain to show through and look natural. If you missed that post, you can see all about our new floor here >>> Affordable Rustic Laminate Flooring Varathane 1 qt. I simply used gray stain, whereas she worked her @ss off. Please help....Golden Oak Trim and cabinets..what to stain the floor? General Finishes has a gray gel stain now. If you get a look you like, let the cabs dry well for 48-72 hours and then put on 3 or 4 light coats of Polycrylic or other matte or satin sheen water based poly. Gel stain will … Wow this was an amazing DIY project! The stain goes on dark but it wipes off and the color is faint. That is a crazy before and after! If I did the ceruse technique; thinking of tinting the wax to a gray instead of white. If you want to use a topcoat the recommendation is … Starting with orange oak, the only way to get gray, and not MUD, is to paint them. Kitchen island in gf s gray gel stain refinishing golden honey oak cabinets our best tips for staining cabinets or how to stain oak cabinets. What a HUGE difference! I definitely want to do that with our cabinets at home. Experiment Two: try painting the doors grey, let sit a bit, and lightly wipe off paint and dry. I also had old oak cabinets with a veneer side. It's NOT good in bathrooms or kitchens. I wanted a grayish brown finish, so I … Repeating the process will darken the color effect; I would do this before letting the piece dry. This table set was so much easier because it was built solidly and still in great condition--for the 1990's. Then spend 6 months not quite getting it right. Any advice and/or expertise would be appreciated. Kitchen Island In Gf S Gray Gel Stain General Finishes Design Center Just shake the can, stir the gel, dip your paintbrush in, and get to work. The top door is the Carbon Gray. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Privacy Policy. Mix it about 1 part paint to 3 or 4 parts glaze, try it on the inside of a cab door, if you don't like it, clean it off with soap and water before it dries, it's water-based so no messy clean up. Not sure if 'weathered' is what I'm trying to achieve; as I don't want a country look and no blue undertone. 3. Bye bye Golden Oak--Say Hello to Gray Stain (and Paint) So if you follow me you probably feel like seeing this table is deja vu, because I finished another similar table a month ago. It's amazing how the simplest change in color can make the entire room look totally different. Go figure. Time to stain those ugly oak cabinets! Aug 14, 2019 - I tested the new General Finishes Gel stains on golden oak cabinet doors. They look a million times better. I’ve got a control test setup on a client’s project for different options and am looking for a bleached oak or maple colored stain currently, The old color is walnut, so I’ll try a light gel stain on an un-sanded section and let you all know what the results were if they vary from my hypothesis. Update stairs with gel stain….it’s a no brainer really! Splotches. It was time-consuming, but definitely easy! He LOVES oak. I cannot wait to transform cabinets and do upgrades in our home, once we settle! Enjoy your new look! Gray over orange is just ugly mud colored. Uncategorized June 17, 2018 0 masuzi. I am updating my kitchen to an eclectic, industrial look on a budget. Prep: Clean; lightly sand finish; remove dust. *Side note- this works on wood veneer or fake wood too! http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2767042/how-do-i-gel-stain-my-cabinets. Can totally transfor a room. Using multiple lighter coats and drying until tackfree is best. i.e. Great job! I had a lot of cabinets and drawers! I just redid the kitchen counters and floors with a gray theme, and I would like to keep that going with my cabinets. I am so impressed! Golden Oak Wood Interior Gel Stain is a convenient and easy to use stain that provides deep, rich color to enhance the natural grain of the wood. Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen, What an incredible change! It looks awesome! I love love love this gray stain! I will definitely be looking for more pieces to use this stain. I actually did this to my golden oak floors, however I used varathane products and loved the … I have better luck using a cloth to wipe gel stain on, basically, rubbing the finish in. You would need more clear matte poly coats for finish protection if it produces an acceptable look. A lacquer stain goes on about the same as a spray-on Toner. My father in law is going to give me the HARDEST time for this post. An oil based stain can be a deeper penetrating stain that actually sinks color into the wood somewhat. My understanding is that the iron reacts with the vinegar, which in turn reacts with the tannins in the wood to get the effect. It also looks so elegant with the finish. While gel stain does go on thick and sit on the surface of the wood, I found that you can still see and feel the natural wood grain beneath, unlike paint. (2020 Interim), Backsplash recommendations for white cabinets. They look great. I did use it onmy kitchen cabinets too, which took probably a can and a 1/4 of another (quart size). My hubby uses it for many of our wood projects. I didn't see (you may have said it) but how many cans did it take you to do the kitchen cabinets? General Finishes Milk Paint. Slater22. I would love to try this out! Now it was time to apply the stain. WHAAAT?! ... Refinishing Golden Honey Oak Cabinets To A Gray Stain Refinishing Golden Honey Oak Cabinets To A Gray Stain General Finishes Gel Stain Gray Our Best Tips For Staining Cabinets Or Re I would not use your own doors until you have a process down. I would love someday to have a white wash look to our cabinets. The finish you desire would be fine on a single piece of furniture, but I'm not sure it would be desirable to have all your cabinetry covered in this variable gray. Sophie Wheeler is right -- to an extent. My entire kitchen is OAK -- golden/honey stain. Those look amazing. I think you are going to have to experiment. I love the color of the paint. I highly recommend ordering on Amazon. I'll look for it in our local hardware store. See more ideas about gel stain, stain, staining wood. It came in just a few days and it was packed very well to protect against spills or dents in the can. Minwax Golden Pecan. Definitely a huge difference in those cabinets! HAHAHAHHAHHAHA, I find the efforts addicted2decorating when through totally unnecessary. I did something similar to my cabinet in the basement, but these are beautiful. As you know, we recently updated the flooring in our entire first floor living area. "I am toying with the idea of gel stain ...". My cabinets had that shiny varnish on them and the stain went right over it- no problem at all! The quart that I bought to finish the project was $27.50 (with shipping). For prep before glazing, clean all the cabs very well with a cleaner/degreaser and do a light sand, just to rough up the surface. In stock $ 11. Two things- one, you can still see the wood grain, if that's important to you. Now that I had the perfect grey stain on my tabletop and chairs, I needed to protect it. – The quart of poly cost $28.50 (with shipping) The rough cost to refinish the cabinets with gel stain was: $70.78 + sandpaper! So it's faster. I love in Phoenix, too, by the way. Paint is your best bet, given the ugly color mix. Rich, thick stain formula provides twice the coverage of traditional oil-based stains. You can get the wood to go almost black, so you don't want to try this willy-nilly. eam44, she did in her first post, which is eerily similar to the image nosoccermom just posted! If you get a chance, check out some of the other links and add our link party button! I am toying with the idea of gel stain OR the ceruse (liming) technique. Donna Ginther transformed her golden oak cabinets by painting 3 coats of General Finishes Gray Gel Stain over her existing finish. I am loving that new color! Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owners is strictly prohibited. You will be miles and miles ahead of a year's worth of frustration. I've been debating a change and I love the look of this. For more details or to review our policy in full, please. Have a great day! Again, do the fronts in the morning, backs in … Those cabinets look great! Paint on the white pickling stain … I love it, it looks more expensive! 8. This looks amazing! I love the new look! I hope all is well :-) Any updates? I like to wrap sand paper around my putty knife to get the edges and crevices. Those look so much better painted. It takes a great deal of thought and effort to make that look good. Old Masters Gel Stain is a highly pigmented, oil-based stain designed to achieve intense colors on interior and exterior wood, fiberglass, primed metal, and composition surfaces. This is slightly off topic (or maybe not), but I used or tried to use Citristrip gel on an old table and utterly failed. I use a foam brush to put the stain down then wipe off with cotton rags. Reviewed in the United States on June 7, 2018. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-liming-can-save-and-update-your-honey-oak-cabinets-kitchen-inspiration-204682, http://www.addicted2decorating.com/cerused-oak-dining-table-table-makeover-finished.html. Ok, I'm new at this. I would totally love for my bathroom to have that color for the cabinets one day...maybe even for the kitchen. Second, there is very little prep for the gel stain. Rich, thick stain formula provides twice the coverage of traditional oil-based stains. Can I stain my golden oak cabinets to a gray color? The first layer is Minwax Weathered Oak. You may want your marble to have a non-uniform finish, or your vintage handmade backsplash tile, for that matter, but your cabinets? One person found this helpful. This will probably be the cheapest route but expect to spend a week or so on them. Gel stain is oil-based, and the top coat is a water based product. If I was going to do this... Go to the resale store and buy some oak cabs or just doors that have stain and a varnish on them to experiment on them. I used a very thick coat Citristrip to take the finish off, with a full 6 hours on the wood, then a 2nd coat of it to suck the stain out of the wood. Because it's not easy at all for a novice to achieve the multi layers steps of a properly done grey stained finish. 5.0 out of 5 stars Great stain for faux wood project. You may have to bleach the color out of the wood to get the tone you want. I really think anyone with patience can do it! Wow! I have accomplished this finish, although I went more gray/brown that your picture.

Ragnarok Mobile Card Price List, Amatista Cookhouse Opentable, Quaker Oats For Goats, Australian Fish Names, Substitute For Bamboo Shoots, Inf Full Form In Medical, Drannith Magistrate Mtg Commander, Bob Harper Married, Lego 75938 Jurassic World,