how long is the plain of six glaciers hike

Her blog: HikeBikeTravel is frequently cited as one of the top travel and outdoor adventure blogs in Canada. Traveling high above Lake Louise in Banff National Park and away from most of the crowds is the Plain of Six Glaciers Trail. I brought ours but saw only a few others – mainly I think because the locals avoid this trail in the summer. Why Hike Plain of the Six Glaciers. Make sure to hike past the tea hut to the edge of the scree field. I wish I could say that I’ve hiked about Lake Louise! Hike Type: Out and back, day-hike Difficulty Level: Moderate Permit: None required for day hiking Date Hiked: August 16, 2016 If you have the time and energy, Devil's Thumb is highly recommended, but if you're in a hurry it takes only a couple minutes to make the last little ascent to the top of Big Beehive, overlooking the lakes below and the majestic peaks on the other side of the valley. It really sounds like just the right level & time for me. This amazing hike includes breathtaking views of glaciers, sheer cliffs shaped by avalanches, a tea house and the opportunity to visit several high-mountain lakes. The Plain of Six Glaciers hike is one of the most spectacular and popular in Banff National Park. Starting from the parking lot on the east end of Lake Louise, there are a few options you can take to get to the Plain of Six Glaciers. It will take you about four hours to do. […] A Hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers and Lake Louise Tea House […], […] should visit. Length 8.8 mi Elevation gain 2,542 ft Route type Loop Lake Louise is the most iconic of all the lakes in … I love those wildflower pictures. After your steady hike up, enjoy a snack at the historic Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse before continuing 1 kilometre to talus slopes that provide a high viewpoint of Abbot Pass. Quite easy hike with a nice view for the lake Louise. Not such a hard hike Sabrina – and the higher you go the better the view. RT Distance: about 14 km (8.7 mi) Elevation Gain: about 400 m (1300') From the parking area, hike the trail around the right (west) side of the lake. The goal of this popular hike is a magnificent overlook at the head of the massive cirque surrounding the Lake Louise Valley. It’s fun to stop and watch them for a while. Distance: 11.6 km return; Elevation Gain: 725 m; Time Required: 4 - 5 hours; Difficulty: Moderate; Trailhead: Moraine Lake Parking Lot Driving Directions: From Banff head west on Trans Canada Highway 1, then get off at the Lake Louise exit and follow the signs to the parking lot. The times above are our total time to complete each section. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. I saw plenty of smiling faces. All told the Plain of Six Glaciers hike along with the Lake Louise Teahouse is 13.8 kilometres return (8.6 miles) with a vertical gain of about 400 m (1,300 feet). Cell service is not reliable. The Highline Trail to the Plain Of Six Glaciers Tea House is 5km’s. It was built in 1927 and has been privately owned and operated by the same family since 1959. The views here are absolutely breathtaking, Leigh. Nice that you could share that activity with your daughter, too. So if I had to choose between the plain of six glaciers or the beehive hike which one should I pick? That’s the last time that I was in Alberta too – we really have to get out there with the kids! If you’re looking for a way to enjoy Lake Louise without the crowds, this hike is it. When you reach the cliffs at the end of the lake you’re likely to see some climbers. You can bring your dog but keep it on a leash. 10 Adventures Worth Doing Along the Way - Hike Bike Travel, 5 Easy Rocky Mountain Hikes Within 2 Hours of Calgary - Hike Bike Travel, Banff Hikes: Castle Mountain Lookout - Hike Bike Travel, 19 Best Things to do in Lake Louise - Destinationless Travel. Author of Discover Canada: 100 Inspiring Outdoor Adventures Co-author of 125 Nature Hot Spots in Alberta, Yoho National Park in British Columbia isn't very big compared to its next-door neighbour -…, For a take-your-breath-away beautiful multi-day hiking trip in the Canadian Rockies, you must put the…, For a magnificent but long day hike or an outstanding 3 - 4-day backpacking trip…. It’s well worth making a short side trip from the Tea House to the Abbot Pass viewpoint, to take a look down into crevasses on the Lower Victoria Glacier. The color of the lake is amazing. The most popular one is to the Lake Agnes Tea House, a tea house has been serving customers since 1905, and it is a 4.5 mile round trip hike. This track is a 14.6-kilometer loop taking around 6 hours to complete with stops. It was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway as a rest stop for tourists staying at Chateau Lake Louise at the shore of the lake. Cannisters are available to buy or rent at many locations in Canmore and Banff. Avoid the crowds and head up Plain of 6. Starting Elevation: 5,249 ft. It's best to arrive early as a lot of tourists and locals alike use this parking ar... Fairview Mountain is a non-technical objective alpine summit located on the south side of Lake Louise. The trail is well established and well marked throughout. Distance from Trailhead: 11.2 miles (loop) Ending/Highest Elevation: 7,490-ft. Elevation Gain: 974-ft. From the junction on the saddle between the Big Beehive and the Devils Thumb, walk uphill (south) on a trail that climbs through trees to a shoulder on the ridge extending from Mount Whyte at 3.6 miles. Leigh McAdam is a Calgary based writer, author, photographer and social media enthusiast with over 61,000 followers. The Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse doesn’t come into view until you round a bend by a largish stream – 5.5 kilometres from the start of the trail. The Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse is nearly a century old; its 100th birthday will occur approximately seven years from now if North America is still standing. Beautiful photos! Classic Hike: Plain of Six Glaciers. Fortunately there are loads of trails not far from Lake Louise where you can lose the crowds after a mile or so. Wonder what altitudes you reach? Now the odds of me hiking 5.5 km to get to one of the more eclectic looking tea houses that I’ve ever seen seem small (and the odds of my riding a horse that far seem only slightly better), but I’ll admit that your pictures have stimulated my curiosity. Lefroy and Mt. Bring a lunch or at least some cash to buy delicious food and tea and enjoy the relative solitude this hike provides compared to the chaos at the lake shore. I love your photo of the teahouse with all the people and bunting. Tea hut was very crowded but had excellent scones and tea ( $9 ). @Jennifer It was – and as a bonus it’s very nice to be able to get something to eat at the teahouse. We're committed to building a better, more inclusive home for the modern outdoors. Answer 1 of 11: Hi All, I should have planned to stay a few more days because there is so much to see. I will be in Banff & Jasper in early August. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The trail is very easy to follow and there are quite a few people that hike it. @Jenna Since Calgary does have long winters I do my best to take advantage of the weekends and explore. I agree that L.L. This is a classic Canadian hike at beautiful Lake Louise in Banff National Park. Go PRO to support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and more! While short by the standards of a Rockies hike, it is plenty long enough for folks looking to just get a taste of the area. Thanks for reading! Route Guides Still a great place to visit, amazing views! Follow this about 1.2 km (0.7 miles) and stop by the teahouse, rest and refuel if needed and continue 1.5 km (0.9 miles) to the end of the trail – it is well worth it to see the view from the lookout. © 2020 The Outbound Collective - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy. How long is the Plain of Six Glaciers hike? More inspiration from you to spend more time outdoors. Victoria along with six glaciers – some of which look like they could break off into pieces at any time. We may have finally found a common point between us Leigh. My husband and I hiked to the Lake Louise Tea House on Thanksgiving weekend the fall of 1994 and I remember it being beautiful and not too crowded! If you can get over that then you’ll be treated to the sights of Mt. Plain of Six Glaciers Hike. I did this hike back in 1973 when I lived in Banff. The other tea house hike is to the Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House, built in 1924, and a 7 mile round trip hike. @Lisa I think it’s time to return – plus there are so many other brilliant hikes in the area. Tha Plain of the Six Glaciers sits at about 2400 m (app. Beautiful shots, Leigh. Initially you have to cut and duck through the tourists to get anywhere. would be great at any time of year. Location – The trailhead is located at Lake Louise in Banff National Park and it starts along the popular Lakeshore Trail at the edge of the lake and in front of the Fairmont Hotel. We hiked this when it was half under snow and arrived just as they were closing. Learn how your comment data is processed. Thanks for the heads-up on the crowds. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Getting an early start for this hike is helps you to avoid the crowds on the lake shore trail and gives you plenty of photo opportunities. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. We had to wait for a bit to get a table but it was worth it! Heading back to the saddle, you descend some easy switchbacks and eventually meet up with the Highline Trail, which leads you back to the Plain of Six Glaciers Trail. Beautiful landscape. I bet it’s gorgeous during Fall with the leaves changing. Larch Valley / Sentinel Pass. Lake Agnes Trail to Plain of Six Glaciers Trail Loop is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Distance/Time – 5.3 kilometres one-way for a total of 10.6 kilometres round-trip. Pro tip: the Plain of 6 tea house is quieter and has better pastries! @Mary Some of the nearby hikes are famous for their larches – but then those trails can get busy too. It's trailhead is accessed from the Lake Louise parking lot. After navigating your way around Lake Agnes you will start switchbacks that ascend to the saddle of Big Beehive and Devil's Thumb. This 15 km trail takes you along Lake Louise and offers amazing views. Lake Louise Hike - Lake Agnes or Plain of Six Glaciers I realize this is in the wrong forum but the activity in the Alberta, Canada forum is rather sparse. Looking back, it’s safe to say this hike is the very reason I fell in love with the mountains. The teahouse was a welcome rest. One is to head directly along the lakeshore trail, and in about 7 km (4.2 miles) you will be at the lookout offering the best vantage point of the glacier field. We then hiked to the Plain of 6 Glaciers. Unless you leave prior to 830, there will be backups on the trail. adventures and follow local regulations. Plain of Six Glaciers: Plain of the Six Glacier hike - See 403 traveller reviews, 383 candid photos, and great deals for Lake Louise, Canada, at Tripadvisor. Where to Go Snowshoeing in Banff National Park, Tonquin Valley Hiking Guide – What You Need to Know, The Elk Lakes – Petain Basin Hike in British Columbia. There are two teahouses to stop and grab a bite to eat along the route. It will take a minimum of 5 hiking hours to complete, not including stops at the tea houses. Took around 5 hours including the lunch stop. Plain of Six Glaciers Hike Distance: Roughly 7.5 miles round trip including the Lake Agnes trail back down. The hi... Towering peaks, glaciated valleys and crystal clear water draws thousands of visitors a year to the shores of Lake Louise in Banff National Park. @Brittany Lucky you catching an avalanche too. Plain of Six Glaciers, Lake Louise: Address, Plain of Six Glaciers Reviews: 5/5. Another is to make a short detour up to Mirror Lake, then to Lake Agnes. The hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House starts right beside Lake Louise and continues up a valley affording grand vistas […], […] Read: A Hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House […], […] hike – too tough for the first real hike of the season. Veu, Rafa, and Rafa's Mom hike up the Plain of 6 Glaciers trail and encounter many seeming glaciers along the way, in spite of it being June 22, … Explore 3 incredible glacial lakes near the famed Lake Louise. Leave early! Lake Louise Trail Map All told the Plain of Six Glaciers hike along with the Lake Louise Teahouse is 13.8 kilometres return (8.6 miles) with a vertical gain of about 400 m (1,300 feet). Your email address will not be published. We hit this trail fairly early in the day, and in contrast to the hike we did to Larch Valley the previous day, we saw practically no one on the trail all morning. Plain of Six Glaciers Trail (65 minutes) Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse (half hour) Abbot Pass Viewpoint return (1 hour 20 minutes) Highline Trail (1 hour 40 minutes) Lake Agnes Trail (1 hour) Total Hike Time: 6 hours. There is one section with a slight drop-off – hence the reason for the metal ropes, but really it’s wide enough that all hikers should be able to handle it. The whole garden was under snow. This is a fairly steep, short hike that gives you a great view of Lake Louise. @Marcia It was a grand day of hiking though it definitely would have been even better without the crowds. From the Teahouse it’s reportedly another 1.6 kilometres to the high viewpoint. Start quite early, we started around 8am and the tea house was already booming. Both lakes are beautiful and the Lake Agnes Teahouse is a great place to stop for a quick break. There’s still lots of oxygen! Her blog: HikeBikeTravel is frequently cited as one of the top travel and outdoor adventure blogs in Canada. The hike begins right behind the canoe rental shop on the South side of the lake. Leigh McAdam is an award-winning, Calgary-based writer, photographer and social media enthusiast with over 61,000 followers. Every scenic picture just looks breathtaking. 7900'). There is a teahouse toward the end of the trail that makes for a natural turnaround and rest stop. Share. Please explore responsibly! Our favorite hike we did in Banff. Not sure if I’d be up for that hike, but it sure looks beautiful. The first 2 km are flat and will probably be busy as you hike along the shoreline of Lake Louise. This Plain of Six Glaciers Hike in Banff National Park was one of our favorites! You can bring your dog but keep it on a leash. It was a beautiful and sometimes scary hike. If you want to go to the glacier viewpoint in winter, bring micro spikes for your shoes. To get back, follow the Plain of Six Glaciers Trail all the way back to the parking lot. To the Plain of the Six Glaciers Viewpoint. The Outbound works best with JavaScript enabled. I loved seeing the glaciers so close up and it was pretty awesome to witness an avalanche while sitting at the tea house. Follow this about 1.2 km (0.7 miles) and stop by the teahouse, rest and refuel if needed and continue 1.5 km (0.9 miles) to the end of the trail – it is well worth it to see the view from the lookout. You must be in great shape after all your hikes! But the crowds are there unless you pick your times – early mornings, late afternoons or in the fall when the crowds have dispersed. Discover Canada: 100 Inspiring Outdoor Adventures, The Lake Agnes Teahouse - Little Beehive Hike near Lake Louise - Hike Bike Travel, Driving Vancouver to Calgary? It is a beauty. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, nature trips, and horses and is best used from June until August. Loop Hike To Both The Plain Of Six Glaciers And Lake Agnes Tea Houses You can connect the Lake Agnes and Plain of Six Glaciers tea house trails via the Highline trail to form a 14.6 km loop. Although there is no structure built there, seeing the Victoria Glacier, Lefroy Glacier, Mount Aberdeen, Lefroy and Victoria is quite spectacular. Your recent posts of Lake Louise and the nearby areas is really making me want to visit soon. Just before you arrive at the hotel there will be a large parking lot on the left. It will take you about four hours to do. Book your tickets online for Plain of Six Glaciers, Lake Louise: See 413 reviews, articles, and 405 photos of Plain of Six Glaciers, ranked No.3 on Tripadvisor among 26 attractions in Lake Louise. These commissions help reduce the ever-increasing costs of keeping this site active. The Plain of Six Glaciers Hike in Banff National Park is a popular one, and it’s easy to see why! @Steve There’s nothing wrong with just relaxing while you visit – though with kids maybe an easy paddle out in one the canoes would be fun. More Lake Louise area hikes you’re sure to love. Such beautiful landscapes. We did the Tea House Challenge, started with the Lake Agnes Tea House first. The Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse is a backcountry Teahouse located in the iconic Lake Louise area. Looks like a beautiful hike, even with the crowds. There are a few intersections on the trail – all signed – so as long as you can read you’re fine. What to bring: Walking boots. The teahouse operates just a couple of months during the summer, generally from 9am-5pm, so try to make it there in time. If you don’t have your heart set on eating at the Teahouse then bring a picnic lunch and park yourself on one of the benches and admire the sights. Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your Plain of Six Glaciers is a fantastic, rewarding and worthwhile half-day hike to do from Lake Louise. @Nancie I bet the crowds were a fraction of what they are today. I just hiked this trail two weeks ago in Banff and it was so challenging but amazing. I’m loving the wildflowers too. We want to acknowledge and thank the past, present, and future generations of all Native Nations and Indigenous Peoples whose ancestral lands we travel, explore, and play on. It also sounds like it was a perfect hike for you, your daughter and your dog. To get to the teahouse, one must hike the 5.6km scenic route around the back of … I highly recommend starting here as the trail up seemed much more gradual. From the TransCanada Highway take the exit for the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. Add to My List. Start by heading on the paved path to the right of Lake Louise – if you’re facing the lake. I loved seeing your photos from this hike! The Plain of Six Glaciers trail is a reasonably long Banff day-hike, so we would like to reinforce the importance of a few items from our hiking essentials list: Bear spray is a must. Just give me a head’s up if you go so I can listen for that little voice of yours.

Caterpillar Larvae For Sale, Code Of Ethics For Dentists Pdf, Geum Macrophyllum Invasive?, Slide-in Range Back Gap Filler Samsung, Social Work Internship Malaysia, Medical Internships For High School Students, Polygon Turning Concept, Polyamide Fabric Vs Cotton, Tree Plantation Writing, Sonarlint Newinstance Deprecated, Fallout 1 Dogmeat Dies,